When the Spirit Comes with Power
John White has extensively interviewed many people, including those from John Wimber's Vineyard Christian Fellowship. His years of work as a psychiatrist and as a missionary in the Third World qualify him in a special way to analyze the experiences described in this book. In addition he has thoroughly studied revivals of the past, highlighting the differences and the similarities to what is happening today.
As always, John White remains thoroughly biblical as he handles many controversial topics. The result is a book full of pracitcal wisdom and remarkable insight with conclusions that are fresh and surprising.
Part I: The Spirit's Power in Revival
1. What in the World Is God Doing?
2. Has It Ever Happened Before?
3. Revival Rejected
4. Should We Fear Emotions?
5. Are Revival Experiences Psychological?
6. Are Revival Experiences Spiritual?
7. Varieties of Revival Experiences
8. Why Do Revival Experiences Differ So Much?
9. How Safe Is Spiritual Power?
10. Stolen Power
Part II: Case Studies of the Spirit's Power
11. John Wimber: Pandemonium in the School Gymnasium
12. John Wimber and the Vineyard Movement
13. Sandy: The Voice on the Stereo
14. Conrad: Drugs and a Demon
15. Jim: Power Encounter
Part III: When the Spirit Comes with Power
16. Preparing for Revival
Name and Subject Index