The Voice of Jesus
Jesus takes it for granted that you will hear his voice. But how do you hear it?
How do you separate it out from the cacophony of other voices you hear everyday, including those of your own desires? Is your experience of Jesus' voice something purely subjective, or is it something you can talk about with others and have them confirm?
Building on the rich spiritual tradition that spans the diversity of history and theology from Ignatius Loyola to John Wesley to Jonathan Edwards, Gordon T. Smith helps open your ears and heart to the depths of the inner witness of the Spirit. By learning to attend to the Spirit, Smith urges, you will learn to hear and heed the voice of Jesus in everyday life.
Written with warmth and wisdom, this book speaks to the mind and heart of every Christian who longs for a closer, more intimate walk with Jesus.
1. Jesus and the Spirit
2. Three Voices, One Tradition
3. With Heart and Mind
4. The Assurance of God's Love
5. The Spirit Convicts Us of Sin
6. The Spirit Illumines Our Minds
7. The Spirit Guides in Times of Choice
8. The Character of Our Prayers
9. The Call of God: Vocational and Moral Discernment
10. Spiritual Direction, Pastoral Care and Friendship
11. Making Decisions Together: The Challenge of Communal Discernment
12. Making Decisions Together: The Process of Communal Discernment