Among the several prominent themes in the Bible, the story of Israel is one that has attracted recent attention and study. The biblical story of Israel--in its election, sin, exile and restoration--is a finely articulated drama of the glory and the plight of the universal story of humanity and creation. And the story of Jesus, born from the womb of Israel as its Messiah and true seed of Abraham, provides the redemptive solution to Israel?s and the world's plight.
This book by C. Marvin Pate, J. Scott Duvall, J. Daniel Hays, E. Randolph Richards, W. Dennis Tucker Jr. and Preben Vang explores the unitive theme of the story of Israel from Genesis to Revelation. Probing each section of Scripture--from Pentateuch, Psalms and Prophets to Gospels, Epistles and Apocalypse--the authors bring the contours of this story to light. From close-up examinations of key texts to panoramic shots of the biblical terrain, The Story of Israel unfolds an intriguing and compelling perspective on biblical theology. And with its features of recommended readings and study questions, it is a textbook suitable for classroom and individual study.
"The Story of Israel is an important volume on a crucial subject. While respecting the proper diversity of the different parts of the canon, the authors rightly recognize its essential coherence. The story of Israel is the story of a pattern of sin-exile-restoration. Written in a clear and engaging style, this book is a must-read for everyone interested in the message of the Bible. I particularly recommend it as a textbook for college or seminary classes."
1. Introduction: The Story of Israel and Biblical Theology
2. The Pentateuch: Divine Will and Human Responsibility
3. The Historical Books: Sin and Exile
4. The Psalms and the Wisdom Literature: Contested Story
5. The Prophets: Sine, Exile and Restoration
6. Second Temple Judaism: Unity and Diversity in the Deuteronomistic Tradition
7. The Synoptics: The Gospel Story and the Story of Israel
8. John: Signs of the Restoration
9. Acts: The Nations Will Listen
10. Paul: The Reverse of the Curse
11. The General Epistles and Hebrews: In Exile but on the Brink of Restoration
12. Revelation: The Transforming Vision