The whole story of the book of Exodus is a covenant narrative. In Moses' story, the pledges that God made to Abraham are honored and fulfilled as the Israelites are saved from Egypt and guided to the promised land.
In this Bible Speaks Today volume, J. Alec Motyer explores what this key part of Scripture testifies about the God of the Bible. Considering the meaning that Exodus still has for us today, he unfolds the ways it points to Jesus Christ and heralds him in advance. Exodus reveals much about the faithfulness of God and the nature and life of God's people—their redemption, obedience, security, and inheritance.
Part of the beloved Bible Speaks Today series, The Message of Exodus offers an insightful, readable exposition of the biblical text and thought-provoking discussion of how its meaning relates to contemporary life. Used by students and teachers around the world, The Bible Speaks Today commentaries are ideal for those studying or preaching the Bible and anyone who wants to delve deeper into the text.
This revised edition of a classic volume features lightly updated language, current NIV Scripture quotations, and a new interior design.
1. Days of darkness (1:1–2:10)
2. The turning point (2:11-25)
3. Old Moses . . . new Moses (3:1-10)
4. A sneak preview (3:11–7:7)
5. The God who is sufficient (3:11-22)
6. The God who is able (4:1-17)
7. Interlude: into the arena (4:14-28)
8. Yes . . . No . . . Why? . . . Now (4:29–7:7)
9. Viewpoint (7:8–13:16)
10. Why the plagues? (7:14–10:29)
11. Why the Passover? (11:1–12:42)
12. Remember and respond (12:14–13:16)
13. The next stage: the companionate God (13:17–18:27)
14. God’s curious ways (13:17–17:16)
15. Where we’ve reached and where we’re going (19:1-2)
16. To meet with God (19:3-25)
17. The ten words (20:1-21)
18. The Lord means his law and loves his people (20:22–24:11)
19. The Lord’s tent (24:12–27:19)
20. The way into the Holiest (27:20–30:10)
21. Practicalities (30:11–31:18)
22. A dreadful step back, a huge step forward (32:1–34:35)
23. The glory cloud (35–40)