The Message of Daniel
From former pastor and professor Dale Ralph Davis, this replacement volume in the Bible Speaks Today Old Testament commentary series offers a reliable exposition of the visionary book of Daniel for pastors and lay commentary readers. Explaining the background to Daniel, he sifts through interpretive issues and then offers a faithful exposition of the book's message.
"Here is a fine volume on Daniel by Dale Ralph Davis, who is simply one of the best writers today on any Old Testament historical portion, in the Bible Speaks Today series. Helpful in the ways usually found in this series, this volume is also particularly so for preachers. . . .The book is enriching and I highly recommend it."
"This is a commentary that serves both the laity and preachers. Davis doesn't load the text with too many technical points but allows for a good flow for reading. He retains the technical elements but keeps them in the footnotes. It definitely serves as a wonderful entry point into the book of Daniel."
"Davis, obviously a capable preacher, explains the background to Daniel, sifts through interpretive issues (some of them quite problematic) and then offers a faithful exposition of the book's message. Recommended."
1. There is a God in Babylon (Daniel 1)
2. A dream that will come true (Daniel 2)
3. Saints in the hands of a saving God (Daniel 3)
4. The tree decree (Daniel 4)
5. The strut stops here (Daniel 5)
6. The night the lions were fasting (Daniel 6)
7. Is history all beastly? (Daniel 7)
8. Why is a two-bit king so all-fired important? (Daniel 8)
9. A tutorial in prayer (Daniel 9:1-19)
10. Not so fast! (Daniel 9:20-23)
11. The long haul of the people of God (Daniel 9:24-27)
12. Intimidating introduction (Daniel 10:1-11:2a)
13. The case of Mr Hyde and Mr Hyde (Daniel 11:2b-45)
14. Enduring to the end (Daniel 12)