The Message of 2 Peter & Jude
The letters of 2 Peter and Jude are sometimes overlooked, yet their message for the church is timely and compelling. Today, as in the first century, Christians must guard against false guides who can lead believers astray and cause divisions within the community of faith. Responding to this ever-present danger, 2 Peter and Jude equip readers to discern truth from illusion and exhort them to loyalty, harmony, and spiritual maturity.
In this volume of the Bible Speaks Today series, Dick Lucas and Christopher Green offer passage-by-passage exposition of the letters of 2 Peter and Jude. They include introductory information on authorship, original audience, major themes, and recent issues of scholarship, while focusing on the relevance of these two letters to contemporary Christian experience.
This revised edition of a classic BST volume includes updated language and Scripture quotations and a new interior design. A study guide for individuals or groups is included to help readers engage more deeply with the text.
Sign Up for a No-Risk Commentary Subscription and Save!
Part 1: The message of 2 Peter
1. The genuine article (1:1–2)
2. The power and the promises (1:3–4)
3. The productive Christian (1:5–11)
4. Remember, remember (1:12–15)
5. The witnesses (1:16–21)
6. The fifth column (2:1–3)
7. Putting the world on hold (2:4–9)
8. Profile of a deadly minister (2:10–16)
9. Profile of a deadly ministry (2:17–22)
10. Have you forgotten anything? (3:1–2)
11. God’s powerful word (3:3–7)
12. God’s promised patience (3:8–10)
13. Looking forward to a new home (3:11–16)
14. The message of 2 Peter (3:17–18)
Part 2: The message of Jude
15. Jude the obscure? (1–2)
16. Churches in danger (3–4)
17. Warnings of judgment: three Old Testament examples (5–8)
18. Warnings of judgment: a familiar example (9–10)
19. Warnings of judgment: three further Old Testament examples (11–13)
20. Warnings of judgment: a further familiar example (14–16)
21. Signs of the times: a warning from the apostles (17–19)
22. Contending for the faith: the Christian (20–21)
23. Contending for the faith: the fallen Christian (22–23)
24. Contending for the faith: the salvation we share (24–25)
Appendix: The authorship of 2 Peter and Jude