The Message of 1 Timothy & Titus
In the letters to Timothy and Titus, as he nears the end of his life, Paul focuses on the idea of inheritance. The faithful, he writes, must guard and pass on the heritage of gospel truth for the next generation. Paul's clear commitment to the church as "the pillar and foundation of the truth" continues to challenge Christians in every era.
In this revised Bible Speaks Today volume, John Stott finds in 1 Timothy and Titus a dynamic truth that orders Christian life in the church, the family, and the world. With his trademark warmth and clarity, Stott guides readers through the text, highlighting key themes and applications for today. Stott's pastoral voice and dedication to teaching the Word echo Paul's as he calls each generation to guard the message entrusted to them.
This revised edition of a classic volume features a new interior design, updated Scripture quotations, and light updates throughout.
Sign Up for a No-Risk Commentary Subscription and Save!
The authenticity of the pastoral letters
Part 1: The message of 1 Timothy: the life of the local church
1. Apostolic doctrine (1:3–20)
2. Public worship (2:1–15)
3. Pastoral oversight (3:1–16)
4. Local leadership (4:1 – 5:2)
5. Social responsibilities (5:3 – 6:2)
6. Material possessions (6:3–21)
Part 2: The message of Titus: doctrine and duty
The letter’s main themes
7. Doctrine and duty in the church (1:5–16)
8. Doctrine and duty in the home (2:1–15)
9. Doctrine and duty in the world (3:1–8)
10. Final personal messages (3:9–15)