The Message of 1 Peter
The message of Peter's first letter turned the world upside-down for his readers. He saw the people of the young church of the first century as strangers, aliens who were only temporary residents, travelers heading for their native land.
Peter speaks to our own pilgrimage when he tells of suffering now and glory to come. Stormy seasons of persecution were beginning for the churches in Asian Minor. These storms rage on in the modern world.
Edmund Clowney believes that no true Christian can escape at least a measure of suffering for Christ's sake. Out of his firsthand knowledge as an apostle of Christ, Peter shows us what the story of Jesus' life means for us as we take up our cross and follow him.
1. The apostle to the Jews blesses God's true people - 1:1-2
2. Bless God for our hope in Christ - 1:3-12
3. Live obediently in hope - 1:13-2:3
4. Live as the people of God I: The life of the spiritual temple - 2:4-10
5. Live as the people of God II: The new lifestyle - 2:11-20
6. Live as the people of God III: The new lifestyle (continued) - 2:21-3:7
7. The blessing of living with Christian suffering - 3:8-22
8. The blessing of living as stewards of grace - 4:1-11
9. The blessing of suffering for Christ's sake - 4:12-19
10. Living in the suffering church of God - 5:1-11
11. Final Greetings - 5:12-14
Appendix A: 'Resident aliens' -- literal or figurative?
Appendix B: Living rock, living water
Appendix C: The office of elder in the New Testament