The Holy Spirit in the New Testament
In the early church, miraculous workings of the Holy Spirit were normal and normative. Today an ever-increasing number of Christians worldwide self-identify as Pentecostal or charismatic. William A. Simmons argues that this means the church needs a Spirit-centered interpretation of Scripture informed by a Pentecostal lens.
In The Holy Spirit in the New Testament, Simmons provides an accessible New Testament introduction that discusses themes and passages of particular interest to Pentecostal readers. Each chapter explores the presence of the Spirit in a biblical book, then offers devotional applications to help readers respond to the text. In Matthew, for example, we discover that there is no Messianic era apart from the Spirit. For Paul in Romans, the Holy Spirit is the authenticating power and emotive heart of God. And Revelation is permeated with the illuminating voice of the Spirit from beginning to end.
A Spirit-centered reading breaks down divisions between reason and spirit, mind and emotion. This book opens a dialogue between the academy and the church, demonstrating how sound exegesis speaks to Spirit-filled Christians. In the world and writings of the New Testament authors, we continue to encounter the revelatory presence of God.
Introduction: Why "Pentecostal Themes of the New Testament"?
1. The Holy Spirit in Matthew: Hallmark of the Kingdom
2. The Holy Spirit in Mark: Authority and Obedience
3. The Holy Spirit in Luke: Good News for the Poor and Freedom for the Captives
4. The Holy Spirit in John: The Spirit of Truth
5. The Holy Spirit in Acts: A Promise Kept
6. The Holy Spirit in Romans: The Spirit of Adoption
7. The Holy Spirit in 1 Corinthians: The Spirit of Wisdom and Grace
8. The Holy Spirit in 2 Corinthians: The Spirit of the New Covenant
9. The Holy Spirit in Galatians: The Spirit of Freedom
10. The Holy Spirit in Ephesians, Colossians and Philemon: The Spirit of Wisdom and Revelation
11. The Holy Spirit in Philippians: The Spirit of Joy
12. The Holy Spirit in 1 and 2 Thessalonians: Eschatology and Ethics
13. The Holy Spirit in the Pastoral Epistles: The Spirit of Power, Love and Self-control
14. The Holy Spirit in Hebrews: The Testimony of the Spirit
15. The Holy Spirit in James: The Wisdom of God
16. The Holy Spirit in 1 and 2 Peter: God’s Answer to Suffering for Christ
17. The Holy Spirit in the Johannine Epistles: The Spirit of Truth
18. The Holy Spirit in Jude: Praying in the Spirit
19. The Holy Spirit in Revelation: The Spirit of Prophecy