Study Scripture with John Stott
The beatitudes reveal to us eight qualities that bring God's blessing: meekness and mercy, poorness in spirit and purity of heart, mourning and hunger, peacemaking and persecution. Jesus highlighted these to offer both encouragement and instruction on living distinctly as his followers in a world with values much different from God's. As we study these qualities and integrate them into our lives, we will receive the blessing Jesus promised to his followers then and now.
John Stott was one of the world's leading and most-loved Bible teachers and preachers. In this newly updated Bible study guide you can explore Scripture under his guidance, enhancing your own in-depth study with insights gained from his years of immersion in God's Word.
Introducing the Beatitudes
1. Putting Our Trust in God - Matthew 5:3; Revelation 3:17-22
2. Repenting of Our Sins - Matthew 5:4; Romans 7:21-25
3. Learning Gentleness - Matthew 5:5; Psalm 37:1-11
4. Becoming Righteous - Matthew 5:6; Romans 9:30-10:4
5. Showing Mercy - Matthew 5:7; Matthew 18:21-35
6. Growing More Holy - Matthew 5:8; Psalm 24:1-6
7. Making Peace - Matthew 5:9; Ephesians 2:11-22
8. Rejoicing Through Persecution - Matthew 5:10-12; Acts 5:17-42
Guidelines for Leaders