Should I Get Married?
Here's an indispensable book for any Christian contemplating marriage or seeking guidance in finding a life partner. Drawing from personal experience and his years of counseling singles and couples, Blaine Smith takes a refreshingly candid and openhearted stance as he helps you think through these and other questions:
This revised edition tackles the tough questions single Christians face today in a culture that often idolizes personal fulfillment and devalues marriage commitment. Smith's common-sense approach, informed by biblical principles, debunks myths about marriage while offering wise counsel on marriage versus singleness, friendship and dating, compatibility, expectations, fear, problem-solving, communication and compassion.
Part One: Setting Your Sights
1. The Search for Perspective
2. Does God Want Me to Be Married or Single?
Part Two: God's Guidance the Marriage Decision
3. Does God Have One Ideal Choice for Me?
4. How Can I Know God's Will?
5. Can I Be Certain?
Part Three: Choosing a Spouse
6. Do You Feel Deep Compassion for the Other Person?
7. Are You Good Friends?
8. Are You Both Ready for Marriage?
9. Are You Physically Compatible?
10. Are You Intellectually Compatible?
11. Are You Spiritually Compatible?
12. Are You Emotionally Compatible?
13. Are Your Expectations Compatible?
14. Finally Deciding
Part Four: Should I Remarry--or Marry Someone Divorced?
15. Remarriage: A Gift of God with Special Challenges
16. Paul's Balanced Counsel on Remarriage
17. Meeting the Challenges, Beating the Stigmas
Part Five: Confronting the Fear of Commitment
18. Understanding the Fear of Commitment
19. When the Problem Is Your Partner's
20. When the Problem Is Your Own
Appendix 1: To Date or Not to Date
Appendix 2: Vows for the Imperfect Marriage
About the Author