Knowing Jesus Through the Old Testament
We cannot know Jesus without knowing his story.
Today the debate over who Jesus is rages on. Has the Bible bound Christians to a narrow and mistaken notion of Jesus? Should we listen to other gospels, other sayings of Jesus, that enlarge and correct a mistaken story? Is the real Jesus entangled in a web of the church's Scripture, awaiting liberation from our childhood faith so he might speak to our contemporary pluralistic world?
To answer these questions we need to know what story Jesus claimed for himself. Christopher Wright is convinced that Jesus' own story is rooted in the story of Israel. In this revised and updated book he traces the life of Christ as it is illuminated by the Old Testament. And he describes God's design for Israel as it is fulfilled in the story of Jesus.
Preface to the Second Edition
Preface to the First Edition
1. Jesus and the Old Testament Story
2. Jesus and the Old Testament Promise
3. Jesus and His Old Testament Identity
4. Jesus and His Old Testament Mission: "God Sent His Son . . ." (Galatians 3:26)
5. Jesus and His Old Testament Values
6. The Old Testament Reveals the God Whom Jesus Embodied