John Stott: The Making of a Leader
John Stott stands as one of the towering figures of Christianity in the twentieth century. He was a key framer of the historic Lausanne Covenant (1974). And he wrote Basic Christianity which has sold over three million copies in more than fifty languages. From his home base of All Souls Church in London's West End, he has shaped the face of evangelicalism around the world.
But what has shaped John Stott? How did he become what Christianity Today calls "evangelicalism's premier teacher and preacher?" Timothy Dudley-Smith, a longtime friend and co-worker, offers in this book the beginning of a monumental study of Stott's life--tracking the early influences, challenges and achievements that set the course for a lifetime of Christian ministry.
Dudley-Smith traces the growth of young Stott, who even as a child attended church and Sunday school at All Souls. He shows us Stott's conversion as a teenager and the subsequent influence upon his growth of Scripture Union's E. J. H. Nash. Here and in the British Inter-Varsity Fellowship of Cambridge, Stott's leadership abilities and concern for evangelism were already apparent.
But strain between Stott and his father was pronounced as Stott began to follow his call to ministry while World War II embroiled his country. After his ordination at the close of the war, he renewed his association with All Souls, and he launched creative and energetic evangelism campaigns while providing leadership for the emerging evangelical movement within the Anglican Church and around the world.
Covering Stott's first forty years, this volume reveals his lighthearted humanity and his resolute focus on God's Word and God's work in the world. Here you'll discover the fascinating detail and rewarding overview of a life that is at once instructive and inspiring.
1. Family Background: Between the Wars
2. Home in Harley Street: A London Childhood
3. Oakley Hall: A Love of Birds
4. Rugby 1935-37: Growing Up
5. Rugby 1938-40: Beginning with Christ
6. Cambridge in Wartime: Iwerne Minster
7. Towards Ordination: 'An Instinctive Pacifist'
8. Reading Theology: Ridley Hall
9. Assistant Curate: All Souls and St. Peter's
10. Rector of All Souls: A Strategy for Evangelism
11. A Wider Vision: Evangelical Initiatives
12. University Missioner: Cambridge, London, Oxford and Durham
13. University Missioner: America, Australia and S. Africa
14. The Hookses: A Writer's Retreat