Courage and Calling
You have a calling.
First, God calls us all to know and love him. Second, for each individual there is a specific call—a defining purpose or mission, with implications for all of life.
In this classic book on vocation, Gordon Smith invites you to discover your calling by listening to God and becoming a coworker with him. Courage and Calling has helped thousands of readers explore questions such as these:
Smith explores how to pursue excellence in all kinds of work and how to continue growing throughout a lifetime. He also considers four examples of particular callings: business, the arts, education, and religious leadership.
This third edition includes a new chapter that explores how a church community can be a dynamic venue for discerning vocation. Church leaders can help sustain a conversation about vocation, work, and career, and celebrate the diverse ways in which God is calling people. From students exploring careers to elders leaving a legacy, this book provides rich insight for all who long to courageously follow God's call.
"This book is the best resource for thinking about your calling as a leader and contributor to kingdom work. Gordon Smith raises all the important considerations and questions about how to serve and how long to serve. This book changed my life. It could change yours."
"I have used Courage and Calling as the core of our summer young adult internship for years. I am delighted to see an updated edition to serve the next generation of people considering questions of Christian calling and vocation."
"Gordon Smith's wise and thorough exploration of calling provides an essential resource for all Christians seeking God's design for their life. Smith has a gift for untangling complex issues with ease as he presents a coherent path forward that will inspire readers. His wisdom, engaging anecdotes, and commitment to Scripture weave together to form a book that reads like a conversation with a trusted friend. Readers will find this updated edition well worth their time as they encounter new insights from Smith's thoughtful writing."
"Gordon Smith has updated his seminal work on vocation. His understanding of vocation is informed by his own journey, deep understanding of Scripture, and generous familiarity with what others have contributed to the conversation. Smith's perspective is always practical, connecting an understanding of vocation to the individual's self-understanding and current life context. This book stands the test of time and belongs in the essential canon of writings on a Christian vision of vocation."
1. Stewards of Our Lives: Navigating Change with Grace and Courage
2. The Meaning of Our Work: A Theological Vision for Engaging Our World
3. Seeking Congruence: The Character of Vocational Integrity
4. Chapters in Our Lives: Vocation and the Stages of an Adult Life
5. As Unto the Lord: The Pursuit of Excellence, Truth, Diligence and Generosity
6. Thinking Vocationally: Wisdom for the Road
7. Four Callings: Business, the Arts, Education and Religious Leadership
8. Courage and Character: Turning from the Fear That So Easily Entangles Us
9. The Capacity for Continuous Learning: The Way We Stay Alive and Engaged
10. The Cross We Bear: Difficulty and Emotional Maturity
11. Working with and Within Organizations: Leveraging Our Work with the Work of Others
12. The Ordered Life: Between Solitude and Community
13. Vocation and Community