Becoming the Church
Many today have given up on church. But God has not and does not give up on the church. The church is God's idea. And once we truly understand what God has in mind for his people, we can become who he wants us to be.
Bishop Claude Alexander shows how the original Christians did not always understand what the church was supposed to be, but God worked in them anyway to become the community that he intended. After the resurrection of Jesus, his followers were transformed from disillusion and doubt to become a people of conviction and new life. The book of Acts describes the unfolding purposes, principles, and practices discovered by the apostles as they gave themselves to Christ's call. By the power of the Holy Spirit, we too can be transformed by Jesus and model to the world what it means to know him—as the church.
"Bishop Alexander's love for the church inspires us and challenges us. With thoughtful imagination and examination of the early church, he masterfully weaves together a tapestry of biblical voices that speaks to a beautiful vision of the church. This book is an essential guide for anyone wanting to help churches become what God intended, beginning with ourselves."
Introduction: Being and Becoming
1. If You Get Jesus, You Get the Church: Thomas
2. Second Chances: Peter
3. Called to Mission: Matthew
4. People of Purpose: Luke
5. A Divine Assignment: Acts 1:1-11
6. Empowered to Proclaim: Acts 2:1-38
7. A Community of Commitments: Acts 2:36-47
8. Transformed by Jesus: Acts 3:1-11
9. Offering a Word from God: Acts 3:9-24
10. Evident Boldness: Acts 4
11. Living in the Tension: Acts 4:5-22
12. How God's People Pray: Acts 4:18-31
13. Together in Everything: Acts 4:31-37
14. The Church at Its Worst: Acts 4:32–5:14
15. Growing into the Future: Acts 5:12–6:7
Questions for Reflection or Discussion