Ancient & Postmodern Christianity
The consensual roots of Christianity found in the common understanding of the faith among the early church fathers is the foundation on which the church can and should build in the twenty-first century. Edited by Kennth Tanner and Christopher A. Hall, the eighteen essays found in this volume span theological and ecclesiastical perspectives that emphasize what the various Christian traditions hold in common. This shared heritage is applied to a wide range of topics--from worship and theology to ethics and history and more--that point the way for the people of God in the decades ahead.
Ancient & Postmodern Christianity is created in honor of Thomas C. Oden, who has done much in recent decades to promote these ideas with such signal publications as After Modernity . . . What? and the Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture, which was launched under his editorial direction. Contributing scholars include Richard John Neuhaus, Alan Padgett, J. I. Packer, Wolfhart Pannenberg, Carl Braaten, Stanley Grenz, Bradley Nassif, Thomas Howard and more.
Here is a volume that will set a course needed for succeeding generations to restore and renew a living orthodoxy.
1. With No Qualifications: The Christological Maximalism of the Christian East--Robert W. Jenson
2. Nature Wild Tame in St. John Chrysostom's On the Providence of God--Christopher A. Hall
3. God's Household of Grace: Hospitality in Early Christianity--Amy Oden
4. Antiochene Theoria in John Chrysostom's Exegesis--Bradley Nassif
5. Learning How to Die Well: Lessons from the Ancient Church--Vigen Guroian
6. What Are You, O Man? Theo-Anthropological Similarities in Classical Pentecostalism Eastern Orthodoxy--Edmund J. Rybarczyk
7. Necessary Doctrines: Why Dogma Is Needed Why Substitues Fail--David Mills
8. A Stunted Ecclesiology?--J. I. Packer
9. Recognizing the Church: A Personal Pilgrimage the Discovery of Five Marks of the Church--Thomas Howard
10. The Crisis of Evangelical Worship: Authentic Worship in a Changing World--Robert Webber
11. Reclaiming Eucharistic Piety: A Postmodern Possibility for American Evangelicals?--Joel Scandrett
12. Staying the Course: On Unity, Division Renewal in The United Methodist Church--William J. Abraham
13. Schisms, Heresies the Gospel: Wesleyan Reflections on Evangelical Truth Ecclesial Unity--Geoffrey Wainwright
14. The Gospel Proviso: Lessons from Twentieth-Century Theology for the New Millennium--Carl E. Braaten
15. Theological Heritage as Hermeneutical Trajectory: Toward a Nonfoundationalist Understanding of the Role of Tradition in Theology--Stanley J. Grenz John R. Franke
16. Theology as Worship: The Place of Theology in a Postmodern University--Alan G. Padgett
17. Resurrection: The Ultimate Hope--Wolfhart Pannenberg
18. C. S. Lewis in the Public Square--Richard John Neuhaus
19. A Poem of Saint Bonaventure--Daniel B. Clendenin