Shepherd boy with slingshot, brave warrior, poet-musician, deceitful adulterer, repentant sinner, beloved king, "a man after God's own heart."
David faced some desperate circumstances and some tough choices. So do you, day by day. In this book Rebecca Manley Pippert shows how you, like David, can choose the good, find hope and grow to be one who hase a heart for God.
"Pippert writes of David, but not as though he were several thousand years removed from her. Their humanity connects, and it is for this reason she understands the way Christian virtue is developed in our souls and vices rooted out."
"These insightful studies of faith, faithfulness and faithlessness, drawn from David's career, deservedly stick in the mind. Not all books are worth reading, but this one is."
"The life of David immerses us in the stuff of humanity--the everyday grit and glory that we all encounter simply by walking out the door each morning. Becky Pippert shows us that this is the raw material that God uses to shape a holy life in us. And as witness and participant she convinces us."
Introduction: The Making of a Heart
1. Fear: A Miserable Way to Live
2. Faith: The Remedy for Fear
3. Envy: A Sure Road to Self-Destruction
4. Compassion: The Remedy for Envy
5. Hatred: A Consuming Fire
6. Love: The Remedy for Hatred
7. Rebellion: When the Heart Turns Hard
8. Submission: The Remedy for Rebellion
9. Anger: A Force That Must Be Reckoned With
10. Meekness: The Remedy for Anger
11. Despair: A Turning Point, or the End of the Line?
12. Hope: The Remedy for Despair