A Fragile Stone Study Guide
"The ultimate reason for getting to know Peter is so together we might better know Jesus. For the story of Peter is the story of Jesus. Perhaps, if you and I do our best, the same will be said of us someday"--Michael Card.
In A Fragile Stone, songwriter and musician Michael Card explores the dynamic, contradictory life of the apostle Peter. The fruit of years of careful study, A Fragile Stone revisits well-known passages and discovers unexpected insights, painting a portrait of Peter that is both familiar and jarring. With a scope spanning the entire New Testament, Card reveals how the impetuous fisherman of the Gospels was transformed into the pivotal leader of the early church.
The life of Simon Peter thus serves as a model for Christian discipleship, offering hope that we likewise can be changed as Jesus calls us to follow him.
This companion study guide, written by Michael Card with Dale and Sandy Larsen, provides nine inductive Bible studies on the life of Peter, with discussion questions for group study or individual reflection.
"[Michael Card's] unabashed love for Peter shines through these pages and permits him to probe the emotional complexity of the man without romance or sentimentality. . . . Card is not a neutral, dispassionate observer when Jesus dismantles Peter's false self of inner agitation, drivenness, bravado and emotional turmoil in order to shape a new creation who will become the unquestioned leader of the apostolic community. A Fragile Stone speaks to wobbly disciples who never seem to get it all together and to naive leaders who think they have. Michael Card has written a lyrical love song about Peter, and personally, I found the melody contagious."
"Card offers some stunning exegesis and biblical insights, pointing readers to connections they might not otherwise have made. . . . Original, compelling, and full of joy."
Introduction: The Search for Simon
1. A Meeting on the Seashore: A Fragile Stone Chapters 1 2 - Luke 5:1-11
2. The Fearless Water Walker: A Fragile Stone Chapter 4 - Matthew 14:22-33
3. Who They Both Are: A Fragile Stone Chapters 5 6 - Matthew 16:13-23
4. "Fear Not!": A Fragile Stone Chapter 7 - Mark 9:2-10
5. Confusion at the Final Meal: A Fragile Stone Chapter 9 - John 13:1-11
6. The Despairing Denier: A Fragile Stone Chapter 10 11 - Mark 14:27-42, 66-72
7. New Hope on the Seashore: A Fragile Stone Chapter 13 - John 21:1-19
8. The Reluctant Reconciler: A Fragile Stone Chapter 17 - Acts 10:1-36
9. The Passionate Writer: A Fragile Stone Chapter 18 Epilogue - 1 Peter 3:8-9; 2 Peter 1:5-8