In an age of media distortion and widespread stereotypes, Christians and Muslims need a greater understanding of each other's faith.
What do Christians believe about the Bible?
What do Muslims believe about the Qur'an?
And what do both Christianity and Islam have to say about Jesus and Muhammad?
In this evenhanded and conciliatory book Chawkat Moucarry calls Christians and Muslims to engage in genuine dialogue, urging them to relate to each other with true humility and respect. In a straightforward fashion he describes and compares the central doctrines of Christianity and Islam, explaining key beliefs and debunking common misconceptions.
Christians who read this book will learn much about Islam. Likewise, Muslims who read it will discover why Christians are convinced of the truth of Christianity. Sure to provide grist for informed discussions, this rare book is one that both Muslims and Christians can fruitfully study together.
Transliteration of Arabic Words
Introduction: From Mutual Ignorance to Genuine Dialogue
Part 1: The Scriptures
1. The Bible and the Qur'an
2. Have the Scriptures Been Falsified?
3. The Hadith and Falsification
4. What Has Been Falsified?
5. Why the Biblical Text Has Not Been Falsified
Part 2: Key Doctrines
6. The Greatness of God
7. The Problem of Sin
8. The Meaning of Salvation
9. The Kingdom of God
Part 3: Jesus Christ
10. The Crucifixion: Illusion or Reality?
11. Peter and the Crucifixion
12. Evidence for Jesus' Death and Resurrection
13. The Servant King
14. Titles for Jesus in the Qur'an and the Bible
15. Is Jesus the Son of God?
16. Jesus' Claims in the Gospels
17. Islamic Interpretation of Jesus' Claims
Part 4: Muhammad
18. Proof of Muhammad's Prophethood: The Qur'an and Other Miracles
19. Proof of Muhammad's Prophethood: Perfect Law and Political Success
20. Do the Scriptures Foretell the Coming of Muhammad?
21. Is Muhammad God's Prophet?
22. Is There Revelation in Islam?
Part 5: Contemporary Issues
23. Israel or Palestine?
24. Love the Immigrant As Yourself
Conclusion: One God, One Humanity, One World
Appendix A: Muslim Theologians and Mystics
Appendix B: Time-line of Christian-Muslim Relations
Index of Qur'anic References
Index of Bible References