The Parables of Jesus
Good news for the needy. Bad news for the power brokers. Jesus came into the world announcing a new order where Satan is overthrown and broken relationships are restored. Jesus' most vivid portraits of this new kingdom are found in the parables.
David Wenham explores the splendor and subtleties of Jesus' world-changing message, offering a nontechnical but comprehensive look at dozens of Jesus' stories. Bringing them to life by explaining their first-century religious and social setting, Wenham never fails to illumine their significance for today.
1. Setting the Scene: Jesus? Parables
2. Setting the Scene: Jesus? Revolution
3. The Revolution Is Here!
4. On the Way to the New World
5. The Great Day of the Lord?s Coming
6. Good News for the Needy
7. Bad News for the Establishment
8. Revolutionary Neighbour Relations
9. Living with the God of Revolution
10. Call to Decision
Appendix 1: The Authenticity of the Parables
Appendix 2: The Interpretation of the Parables
Appendix 3: The Purpose of the Parables and the Interpretation of Mark 4:10?12
Select Biography and a Note on Further Reading
Index of Parables
Index of Biblical References
Subject and Name Index