The Message of John's Letters
Immorality is inudating the Christian community and gradually eroding the foundations of Christian living. The truth of God incarnate, the atonement and the bodily resurrection of Christ are under attack--even from within the church.
These are the concerns of Christians today, and they were the problems that faced the Christians of John's day. In a society that scorned the gospel and sneered at godly living, John encouraged Christians with a message forged from two words--truth and love.
In this contemporary retelling of John's message, David Jackman describes John's first letter as an upwardly spiraling staircase that circles and broadens out around the twin themes of truth and love, mind and heart, Word and Spirit. It is a message both timeless and timely for the church today.
1. The prologue - 1 John 1:1-4
2. Walking in God's light - 1 John 1:5-7
3. Radical treatment for sin - 1 John 1:8-10
4. Marks of Christian reality - 1 John 2:1-6
5. How the true light shines - 1 John 2:7-14
6. What's wrong with world? - 1 John 2:15-17
7. Realism about the enemy - 1 John 2:18-23
8. Staying on course as a Christian - 1 John 2:24-29
9. Living in God's family - 1 John 3:1-6
10. Be what you are - 1 John 3:7-10
11. A faith that is real - 1 John 3:11-18
12. How to please God - 1 John 3:19-24
13. Testing the spirits - 1 John 4:1-6
14. Does God really love us? - 1 John 4:7-12
15. Grounds of assurance - 1 John 4:13-21
16. Faith--the key to victory - 1 John 5:1-5
17. Evidence--the key to faith - 1 John 5:6-12
18. You can be sure - 1 John 5:13-21
19. Priorities of truth and love - 2 John
20. Learning by example - 3 John