John's Gospel has long been a favorite among Christians. In it the truth of God in Christ is displayed in both childlike simplicity and penetrating depth.
John the disciple of Jesus had known the Word of God incarnate. John the pastor and evangelist had contemplated the meaning of that unique person and event. Through the eyes of faith John retells the story of the Word, drawing out its meaning for his contemporaries so that they "might come to believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God" and "have life in his name."
True to his mentor, the Fourth Evangelist, Bruce Milne has a passion for passing on this Word and helping others respeak it. As Milne puts it, "The mystery of Jesus Christ is the theme of this gospel; always beyond us, yet always summoning us to explore it more fully."
2. John and the synoptics
3. Purpose and date
4. John and Jesus
The Gospel of John
A. The ministry of the pre-incarnate king - 1:1-18
1. Jesus Christ and the eternal God - 1:1-2
2. Jesus Christ and the created universe - 1:3-5
3. Jesus Christ and redemptive history - 1:6-18
B. The ministry of the incarnate king - 1:19-19:42
1. The inauguration - 1:19-51
2. The procession - 2:1-12:19
3. The coronation - 12:20-19:42
C. The ministry of the risen king - 20:1-21:25
1. The appearing king - 20:1-31
2. The beginning of the mission - 21:1-25