The apostle James addressed his readers directly and pointedly, using vivid images from ordinary life and attention-gripping statements. His letter reveals how a genuine faith is a tested faith, and how encountering difficulties is an essential part of the growth to Christian maturity.
In this Bible Speaks Today volume, J. Alec Motyer's rich exposition brings James's letter to life for today's readers. Motyer is himself gripped by James's energy and concern for practical Christianity. He draws out the book's memorable themes: the link between enduring trials and maturity; the good gifts of God; faith, works, and Christian concern in a world of human need; the implications of careless and evil words; the church and healing; confession of sin; the need for active purity in life; and more.
This revised edition of a classic BST volume includes a new interior design, lightly updated language, and updated Scripture quotations throughout.
1. Setting the scene (1:1)
2. The life-giving trial (1:2–4)
3. The way of wisdom (1:5–11)
4. A battle of wills (1:12–19a)
5. The life-giving word (1:19b–25)
6. Transition: the Father’s children (1:26–27)
7. Denying our faith (2:1–7)
8. Obedient faith (2:8–13)
9. The proving of faith (2:14–26)
10. The master key (3:1–12)
11. The two wisdoms (3:13–18)
12. The beginning of wisdom (4:1–10)
13. Areas of high risk (4:11 – 5:6)
14. Enduring to the end (5:7–12)
15. The last word: prayer and care (5:13–20)