"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." —John 3:16
Paul Borthwick unpacks the Bible's most famous verse to unveil God's intentional, sacrificial mission for the world. He examines every word in John 3:16 to reveal the underlying motivation for mission, the global scope of God's call, and how we are invited to enter into partnership with God. This mission statement highlights the centrality of Jesus and the relational nature of the invitation to follow him—for the world to escape perishing and enter eternal life.
God still loves the world, and we can too. Come join him on this mission of love and discover how he brings the world back to life.
Introduction: Jesus' Elevator Speech
1. Entering into John 3
2. "For God": God, the Great Pursuer
3. "So Loved": Love, the Underlying Motive
4. "The World": The Target of God's Love
5. "That He Gave": Sacrifice, the Foundation
6. "His One and Only Son": Jesus, the Center Point of Salvation
7. "That Whoever Believes in Him": The Invitation, a Relationship with God Through Jesus
8. "Should Not Perish": The Warning, to Escape Condemnation
9. "But Have Eternal Life": The Goal, a Living, Vital, Eternal Relationship with God
10: The Challenge: Living a John 3:16 Lifestyle
Epilogue: Always on Mission