Jesus the Messiah
In this accessible introduction to Jesus Christ, Robert Stein draws together the results of a career of research and writing on Jesus and the Gospels. Now in paperback, this classic textbook treats every episode in the life of Jesus with historical care and attention to its significance for understanding the life and ministry of Jesus.
Clearly written, ably argued, and geared to the needs of students, Jesus the Messiah will give probing minds a sure grounding in the life and ministry of Jesus.
Part I: Key Issues in Studying the Life of Christ
1. Where You Start Determines Where You Finish: The Role of Presuppositions in Studying the Life of Christ
2. Where Can We Go? Sources for Studying the Life of Jesus
3. When Did All This Take Place? The Problem of Chronology
Part II: The Life of Christ
4. Conceived by the Holy Spirit, Born of the Virgin Mary: How It All Started
5. What Was the Boy Jesus Really Like? The Silent Years
6. The Baptism of Jesus: The Anointing of the Anointed
7. The Temptation of Jesus: The Battle Begun, the Path Decided
8. The Call of the Disciples: You Shall Be My Witnesses
9. The Message of Jesus: "The Kingdom of God Has Come to You"
10. The Person of Jesus: "Who Then Is This, That Even the Wind the Sea Obey Him?"
11. The Events of Caesarea Philippi: The Turning Point
12. The Transfiguration: A Glimpse of the Future
13. The Triumphal Entry: Israel's King Enters Jerusalem
14. The Cleansing of the Temple: God's House?a Den of Thieves
15. The Last Supper: Jesus Looks to the Future
16. Gethsemane, Betrayal Arrest: God's Will, Human Treachery Governmental Evil
17. The Trial: The Condemning of the Innocent
18. Suffered Under Pontius Pilate, Dead Buried: Despised Rejected, a Man of Suffering
19. The Resurrection: "Why Do You Look for the Living Among the Dead?"
Index of Subjects
Index of References