Hope-Focused Marriage Counseling
Everett L. Worthington, Jr. offers a comprehensive manual for assisting couples over common rough spots and through serious problems in a manner that is compassionate, effective and brief. His hope-focused (rather than problem-focused) approach enables couples to see that change is possible and gives them a new outlook on the future. Combining this with a brief approach that addresses the realities of managed care and tight budgets, Worthington shows how to be strategic in each counseling situation by including teaching, training, exercises, forgiveness, modeling and motivation.
At the heart of the book are dozens of interventions and exercises, including
Backed by years of experience and substantial research, hope-focused marriage counseling offers hope to counselors that they can provide help to troubled couples quickly, compassionately and effectively.
This paperback edition includes a new introduction, summarizing the latest findings and developments in marital counseling and applying hope-focused marriage counseling to today's cultural and clinical realities.
"Written most helpfully for pastors who want to adapt a professional model of marital counseling to their pastoral marital counseling . . . very specific and practical."
"Worthington's work is a rock solid strategy for helping couples progress through crisis, while equipping them with skills to effectively manage future conflict."
"This outstanding and practical book is certain to become a standard text of Christian marriage counseling. . . . If your budget allows you to purchase only one counseling book this year, consider buying this as your book."
Part One: Theory
1. Brief Marital Counseling
2. Bird's Eye View of Hope-Focused Marriage Counseling
3. Using the Strategy to Promote Hope
4. Applying the Strategy to Eight Areas of Marriage
Part Two: Interventions
5. Precounseling Interventions
6. Assessment Interventions
7. Interventions for Drawing on Central Values
8. Interventions for Revisioning a Core Vision
9. Interventions for Promoting Confession Forgiveness
10. Interventions for Strengthening Communication
11. Interventions for Aiding Conflict Resolution
12. Interventions for Changing Cognition
13. Interventions for Stimulating More Closeness
14. Interventions for Cementing Commitment
15. Interventions for Promoting Couple Commencement from Counseling
16. Essentials of Hope-Focused Marriage Counseling
Appendix: Hope-Focused Marriage Counseling with a Young Professional Couple: A Case Study (Terry L. Hight)