Counseling and Christianity
What does authentic Christian counseling look like in practice?
This volume explores how five major perspectives on the interface of Christianity and psychology would each actually be applied in a clinical setting. Respected experts associated with each of the perspectives depict how to assess, conceptualize, counsel and offer aftercare to Jake, a hypothetical client with a variety of complex issues. In each case the contributors seek to explain how theory can translate into real-life counseling scenarios.
This book builds on the framework of Eric L. Johnson's Psychology Christianity: Five Views. These include the Levels-of-Explanation Approach, the Integration Approach, the Christian Psychology Approach, the Transformational Approach and the Biblical Counseling Approach. While Counseling and Christianity can be used independently of Johnson's volume, the two can also function as useful companions.
Christians who counsel, both those in practice and those still in training, will be served by this volume as it strengthens the connections between theory and practice in relating our faith to the mental health disciplines. They will finally get an answer to their persistent but unanswered question: "What would that counseling view look like behind closed doors?"
"Consideration on how to best integrate faith into counseling can (and perhaps should) be a life-long endeavor. This book offers an opportunity for both new and seasoned Christian psychologists to contemplate and appreciate diverse approaches to integrating Christian faith with counseling and psychotherapy."
Foreword by Eric L. Johnson
1. Setting the Stage for the Five Approaches
2. Moving Models into Practice
3. A Levels of Explanation Approach, Thomas G. Plante
4. An Integration Approach, Mark R. McMinn
5. A Christian Psychology Approach, Diane Langberg
6. A Transformational Approach, Gary W. Moon
7. A Biblical Counseling Approach, Stuart W. Scott
8. Distinctives and Dialogue
9. Conceptualization and Contextualization
10. Case Scenarios for Further Exploration
Author and Subject Index