Biblical Foundations Award Finalist and Runner Up
For many readers of the Bible, the book of Revelation is a riddle that fascinates and frustrates. Scholars and teachers have proposed different keys to its interpretation, including the "futurist" and historical-critical approaches. However, none of these adequately demonstrates the continuing, vital relevance of the Apocalypse to the contemporary church.
Brian Tabb stresses the importance of the canonical context of the book of Revelation and argues that it presents itself as the climax of biblical prophecy. He shows how various Old Testament prophecies and patterns find their consummation in the present and future reign of Jesus Christ, who decisively defeats his foes, saves his people, and restores all things.
Tabb considers key biblical-theological themes: the triune God; Christ's followers and foes; God's plan for salvation, judgment, and restoration; and God's word. He also explores how the book's symbolic visions shape believers' worldviews in accordance with what is true, good, and beautiful according to God's revealed standards. These visions motivate them to live obediently and counter-culturally in the world as faithful witnesses to Jesus.
Addressing key issues in biblical theology, the works comprising New Studies in Biblical Theology are creative attempts to help Christians better understand their Bibles. The NSBT series is edited by D. A. Carson, aiming to simultaneously instruct and to edify, to interact with current scholarship and to point the way ahead.
List of Abbreviations
Part I: The Triune God
2. The Sovereign on the Throne: God at the Centre
3. The Lion and Lamb: Jesus the Reigning, Returning King
4. The Spirit of Prophecy: the Empowering Presence of God's Sevenfold Spirit
Part II: Worship and Witness
5. Followers of the Lamb: the Suffering, Witnessing, Reigning People of God
6. Every Tribe and Tongue: the Battle for Universal Worship
Part III: Judgment, Salvation and Restoration
7. The Wrath of the Lamb: the Plagues of Judgment and the New Exodus
8. Babylon the Harlot and Jerusalem the Bride
9. All Things New: a Greater Eden
Part IV: The Word of God
10. The Unsealed Scroll: the Trustworthy Words of God
Index of Authors
Index of Scripture References