The "fair use" clause of current US copyright law allows you to reproduce short excerpts from copyrighted works (our standard is less than 200 words) with standard footnoting. The "fair use" clause also allows you to make one copy of selected material from a copyrighted work for personal use only (e.g., for your own study or reference). "Fair use" applies to the content of InterVarsity publications and the IVP Online website. Hymns, poems and illustrations such as cartoons, maps, tables or charts are usually considered complete pieces, which means that you will need written permission even though they may contain less than 200 words.
All materials published by InterVarsity Press are protected by copyright. Therefore, in instances not excepted by the "fair use" clause, you will need written permission before you can reproduce IVP materials in any form including, but not limited to the following:
- photocopying or retyping
- reprinting in a book, magazine or other publication
- recording and/or storing in audio or electronic formats
Requesting Permission to Reproduce IVP Materials
Please complete and send one of our online forms:
You may also print one of these forms, complete it, and fax or mail it to the attention of the Permissions Coordinator, using the information available on our Contact Us web page. All requests must be made in writing.
Typical Allowed Uses with Permission
We seek to promote the work of IVP by allowing individuals and organizations to reprint IVP materials in their publications or as copies in ways that protect the copyright, the author and IVP. We aim to offer best-fit solutions for all.
- Bible Study Use: We usually allow small groups to make up to 20 copies of the first two or three sessions of a Bible study. This is to allow time for the group to order copies of the published Bible study.
- Academic Use: For a reasonable fee, we will usually allow up to 20% of a title to be reprinted for classroom use.
- Promotional On-line Use: We typically allow the first chapter of any title to be posted at a website for up to six months.
- IVP Online: We generally allow use of book cover images, descriptions, tables of contents and reviews/endorsements as well as other promotional copy from IVP Online provided that (i) such information is not modified, and (ii) any copyright notice originally included with such information along with this notice is placed in all copies. See the Copyright Notice posted on our website for more information about use of IVP Online content.
- Out of Print Books: We usually do not control subsidiary rights for a book once it has gone out of print. We will forward any requests to the appropriate copyright holder. Please complete one of our on-line permission request forms (Commercial Use Form or Non-Commercial Use Form) so that we can send your full request to the copyright holder.
What to Expect from Us
We make every effort to
- set reasonable fees
- have a staff member available during normal business hours
- respond to all communications within 1-2 business days after receipt
Please allow us 6-10 business days to act on your request. We receive a large number of permission requests each day, and sometimes we must do research into the copyright status of the work in question--or even contact an author--before we can give you a final response.
If your request is especially urgent, please make sure that you include the date by which you need a response. We will do our best to respond by the date you request. However, we cannot guarantee that we will be able to meet your deadline.