The Message of Heaven and Hell
Death is one of the certainties of life.
But what happens beyond death?
What inexpressible wonders--or unspeakable horrors--will we encounter beyond the pale of this life?
The topic of life and judgment beyond death is one that has occupied the minds of Christians in former eras but today seems to be in partial eclipse. As Bruce Milne argues, we are poorer for it--without even recognizing our poverty. There is such a thing as being so heavenly minded that we are of no earthly good. But there is also such a thing as being so unheavenly minded that we lose sense of earthly good and the gravity of life in the present. This is far more dangerous.
In The Message of Heaven and Hell, Milne guides us from Genesis to Revelation, stopping to examine key texts that illumine the destiny of humanity, the nature of heaven and hell and the glory of life everlasting in the presence of God.
A Note on Meanings
Part One: The Dawning of Destiny: Heaven and Hell in the Old Testament
1. Meeting the Judge and the Defendant - Genesis 1:1-5, 26-27; 2:14
2. The Wages of Sin - Genesis 2:16-17; 3:1-24
3. The Path of Life - Psalm 16
4. Long May He Live! - Psalm 72
5. Either/Or - Daniel 7:9-14; 12:1-13
Part Two: Destiny Determined: Heaven and Hell in the Gospels
6. Your Kingdom Come! - Mark 1:15; Matthew 13:24-30, 36-43; 25:31-45
7. What About Heaven? - Mark 12:18-27
8. So What About Hell? - Mark 9:42-48
9. When Heaven Begins - Luke 23:32-43
10. Hell on Earth: The Death of Jesus - Matthew 27:45-50
11. Encountering Heaven: The Risen Jesus - John 20:1-31; 21:1-25
Part Three: Destiny Declared: Heaven and Hell in the Rest of the New Testament
12. An Unpopular Perspective - Acts 17:22-34
13. The Revealing of Wrath - Romans 1:18--2:11
14. The Privilege of Children - Romans 8:12-39
15. An Embodied Hope - 1 Corinthians 15:1-58
16. Ministering in Hope - 2 Corinthians 4:16--5:6
17. Suffering in Perspective - 1 Peter 1:3-9
18. Why Live Differently? - 2 Peter 3:1-14
19. Final Judgment - Revelation 20:1-15
20. The Colours of Heaven - Revelation 21:1--22:21