The Message of Creation
Human beings have always faced the question of why anything exists at all.
The Bible answers, declaring that God is the creator of all that is--and the re-creator of all that has been bent or broken.
Not only is the theme of creation found in the first chapters of Genesis, it runs throughout the Bible. Creation is a master theme of Scripture, a sightline that brings much of biblical revelation into perspective.
David Wilkinson traces the theme of creation through the rich tapestry of Scripture, taking soundings of key texts. With the mind of a theologian and a cosmologist, he listens to the message of creation and brings it into lively conversation with contemporary concerns. From the story of beginnings to the fulfillment of creation, we explore the hymns, the lessons and the splendor of the Lord of creation.
The Beginning of Creation
1. Genesis 1:1-25 The Creator of Heaven and Earth
2. Genesis 1:26-2:3 The Creator of Human Beings
3. Genesis 2:4-25 The Creator Provides
4. Genesis 3:1-24 The Creator Rejected
The Songs of Creation
5. Proverbs 8:22-36 The Wisdom of God
6. Psalm 8 The Majesty of God
7. Psalm 19 The Glory of God
8. Psalm 148 The Universal Praise of God
The Lord of Creation
9. Luke 8:22-25 The Wind and Waves Obey Him
10. John 1:1-18 The Word Became Flesh
11. Colossians 1:15-20 Supreme in All Things
12. Hebrews 1:1-14 Heir of All Things
The Lessons of Creation
13. Genesis 9:1-17 A New Trust
14. Job 38:1-42:17 A New Understanding
15. Isaiah 40:9-31 A New Strength
16. Acts 17:16-34 A New Life
The Fulfillment of Creation
17. Isaiah 65:17-25 The Creator of a New Heaven and Earth
18. Romans 8:18-30 The Creator Liberates
19. 2 Peter 3:3-16 The Creator Transforms
20. Revelation 21:1-8 The Creator Accepted