A personal retreat.
We've never needed it more. We run from one place to the next--from meetings and appointments to our kid's soccer practice, from class to work to choir rehearsal, from the grocery store to small group--and then drop into bed later than we hoped, exhausted and dreading the morning. We want to slow down but don't know how and don't really believe that we can. And often, the idea of a personal retreat--time for solitude and silence--makes us feel as anxious as all our frenzied rushing. What in the world would we do with an hour, an afternoon or (gulp!) a whole day of solitude with God?
But what is the cost of our frantic pace? What are we missing by not slowing down for reflection and meditation on Scripture? What kind of toll does our anxious running take on those around us--and, even more deeply, on our own soul?
In Resting Place, retreat speaker Jane Rubietta addresses soul matters with retreat topics such as dealing with our fear of abandonment, wrestling with discontent, overcoming our attempts to control others and fulfilling our deep desire to be loved.
These retreats help us enter Psalm 23 rest, a place of true rest and trust in our loving, gentle Shepherd. Full of quotes to contemplate, Scripture to meditate on, questions, prayer and journaling ideas, and ideas for creativity, Jane Rubietta leads us to and through times of silence and solitude that will follow us into our everyday world as we learn to allow Jesus to guide, comfort and restore us.
Come to the Shepherd, and find the true rest your soul is longing for.
"Warm and well-written guidance . . . Any Christian can benefit from trying the exercises in this book."
"There are not many books written that so clearly explain how to conduct a spiritual retreat rather than emphasizing the necessity of doing so. This is a "must" for anyone seeking relief from everyday busy-ness."
1. Resting Place: Discovering the Shepherd's Care
2. The Famished Soul: Accepting God's Good Food
3. Abandonment and God: Finding Safety in Relationships
4. The Spotlight Self: Seeking Balance in Solitude
5. Depression and Faith: Finding Your Way Back to the Light
6. In the Maker's Mark: Embracing Creativity and Spirituality
7. Holy Smokes: Finding Redemption in Anger
8. Get a Grip: Learning How to Give God Control
9. Money Madness: Discovering the Riches Stored Up for You
10. The Happiness Quotient: Knowing the Way to Joy
11. Real Power: Exploring the Key to Strength and Purity
12. Crazy About You: Discovering You Are God's Beloved
About the Author