Prayer & Listening
Most Christians have experienced the "laundry list" phase of spiritual life, in which praying means giving God an agenda of needs to handle.
How do you move to having real conversation with God?
How do you hear what God is saying back to you?
How can you make your experience of God being with you part of everyday life?
In this study guide, Jan Johnson covers the disciplines of prayer and of practicing God's presence. Going deeper in these areas will help you to draw closer to God in everything you do.
"Jan Johnson gives realistic direction on what we can do to make connecting with God the basis of day to day existence. Such a relationship cannot be handed to us, but we can be led into it by someone who knows the way. She does. She opens a path on which anyone can actually and continuously grow in grace and in the knowledge of Jesus Christ--anyone, no matter their background or circumstances."
Introducing Prayer and Listening
1. Conversation with God - Genesis 15:1-17; 17:15-22; 18:1-15
2. Praying with Authenticity - Psalm 74: 1-23
3. The Prayer of Request - Matthew 6:9-13
4. Listening to God in Prayer - 1 Chronicles 14:8-17
5. Interceding As Jesus Did - Luke 22:31-34
6. Practicing God's Presence - 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
Guidelines for Leaders