The Message of Spiritual Warfare
What is spiritual warfare?
In Scripture there are numerous references to the conflict of God's people with Satan and the "dominion of darkness," with the fallen world and with the continuing pull of the sinful nature.
Satan, sin, and the world are all expressions of cosmic rebellion against the Creator and his will and purposes, and God himself addresses that opposition and brings it to nothing. The climactic act is the extraordinary victory of the cross, where through the death of his incarnate Son, God redeemed his people from sin and its penalty, and by that same act also liberated them from bondage to the world and the devil.
Keith Ferdinando's valuable exposition of this key biblical theme of spiritual warfare explains the nature of Satan and his activity in the world God has made, the different dimensions of Christ's victory over Satan, how Christ's victory over Satan impacts God's people, and the various areas in which believers must fight sin and Satan. Additionally, Ferdinando offers clarity as to the "weapons" with which God equips his people to overcome the darkness.
This valuable resource expounds on a range of Old and New Testament texts, helping pastors, teachers, and students to better understand spiritual warfare so that they may fight the good fight and finish the course with joy.
Part I: The Sovereign Creator and a Fallen World
1.The Sovereign Creator of All (Col 1: 15-1)
2. A Liar and a Murderer (Gen 3: 1-57; John 8:44)
3. Sinners, Not Victims (Gen 3:6-24)
4. Satan and Suffering (Job 1-2)
5. A Curse Transformed (Num 22-25)
Part II: The Warfare of the Son of God
6. The Testing of the Son of God (Mt 4:1-11)
7. Releasing the Oppressed (Mk 5:1-20)
8. Disarming the Powers (Col 2:13-15)
9. The Dragon Hurled Down (Rev 12:7-12)
10. The Last Battle (Rev 20:7-10)
Part III: Liberated and Liberating
11. Delivered from the Darkness (Col 1:13-14)
12. Seated with Christ (Eph 1:19b-2:7)
13. Moving Out (Mt 28:18-20)
14. Facing the Foe (Acts 13:4-12)
15. Strong in Weakness (2 Cor 12:1-10)
Part IV: Fighting in Hope
16. Battle for the Mind (Rom 12:1-2)
17. Fighting and Quarreling (Jas 3:13-4:10)
18. The World and Its Lusts (1 Jn 2:15-17)
19. The Snare of Complacency (1 Cor 9:24-10:22)
20. The Weapons of Our Warfare (Eph 6:10-20)
21. They Overcame Him (Rev 12:11)