These daily online studies are adapted from our Quiet Time Bible Guide. The studies go through the Old and New Testaments in just over two years. The approach taken by our quiet time Bible studies does not include answers. The goal of the study is to help you dig into Scripture for yourself. You can go deeper using a commentary, Bible background guide or Bible handbook.
Hosea 4: How Not to Love God
For more context before you begin studying, read this introduction to the book of Hosea.
How do you know if you really love God? Look at how you treat God’s people (1Jn 4:20). Hosea tells the people of Israel that they do not know God (4:1). This is revealed in the quality of their society and their worship.
Warming Up to God
How do your actions confirm or deny your relationship with God?
Read Hosea 4
Discovering the Word
- What in verses 1-2 demonstrates that the knowledge of God is absent in Israel?
- Why is the Lord angry with the priest (vv. 4-6)?
- One way God provided for the priests was for them to receive a good portion of people's sacrifices. How had the priests corrupted their office (vv. 7-10)?
- Verses 11-19 describe the people's worship habits. How had they deteriorated?
- How are knowledge of God and worship interrelated?
Applying the Word
- The character of the people is described as stubborn in verse 16. In what way are you stubborn before God and his people?
- The knowledge of God in this chapter is tied up with more than our relationship with the Lord. How can you and your community demonstrate your knowledge of God by your actions today? this year?
Responding in Prayer
Ask God to help you reflect on how you can love him more by loving others more.