Have an idea for a book? Our Editorial Department has put together some information and instructions that we hope will be helpful to you as you plan, write and begin contacting publishers about your book.
Publishing with InterVarsity Press
InterVarsity Press is the publishing arm of InterVarsity Christian Fellowship and operates within the framework of their Purpose Statement and Doctrinal Basis. This means that manuscripts we consider must be biblically based and reflect mature understanding. We believe that the lordship of Christ must be extended over every area of life, and so we consider manuscripts in virtually every area in which the teachings of our Lord are thoughtfully applied. Nonetheless, because we are an interdenominational movement, we tend not to publish on strictly denominational issues.
Please review our About Us web pages or download our introductory PDF document for more information about our purpose, history, values, faith commitments/doctrinal basis, publishing philosophy and key books from our past and present.
Three Main Areas of Focus
Our current publishing program is focused on three imprints:
- IVP Books offers general-interest books in categories like Christian living, discipleship, evangelism, missions, apologetics, theology and cultural critique. IVP's Formatio line includes books on spiritual growth and spiritual direction. In IVP's Likewise line you will find cutting-edge, experientially-oriented books that explore a compassionate, active faith lived out in real time.
- IVP Academic offers books designed for research and classroom use in areas such as biblical studies, theology, philosophy, science and psychology. This includes Bible commentaries, dictionaries and reference books, and general and specialized academic texts.
- IVP Connect offers study guides, multimedia curriculum and foundational resources for churches and small groups.
IVP publishes little fiction and no prophecies, music or poetry.
A review of the suggestions below as well as the titles currently featured on our website will provide you with more specific ideas about our current and perennial publishing interests. After all, IVP authors are generally also readers of our books!
Wide-Ranging Audience and Distribution
Although InterVarsity Christian Fellowship is a university ministry, InterVarsity Press books are distributed far wider than the campus. About thirty percent of our books are sold to students—both to IVCF chapters, to other student ministries, and as textbooks. About seventy percent are distributed to Christian and general-audience bookstores through traditional marketing channels, and to retail customers via our IVP Book Club and other direct marketing programs.
Manuscript Submission Guidelines
If you have had direct contact with one of our editors at a writer's conference or other event, you may submit your book proposal to that person. If you are associated with a college or seminary and have an academic manuscript, you may submit it to the attention of the Academic Editor. If you are a pastor or have previously published a book with an established publisher, you may submit it to the attention of the General Books Editor. A complete proposal will include a chapter-by-chapter summary, two complete sample chapters and your resumé. We make every effort to respond quickly, but please allow us up to twelve weeks to review your proposal. Due to limited staff availability, we are unable to accept phone, fax or e-mail queries and proposals. Please send them to InterVarsity Press, P.O. Box 1400, Downers Grove, IL 60515-1426.
Unfortunately, due to the sheer number of proposals and manuscripts that are submitted to us, we are no longer able to give evaluation to unsolicited manuscripts or proposals. Therefore, unless you fall in one of the above categories, we will not be able to respond to unsolicited proposals and manuscripts. We regret that submissions without a self-addressed, stamped envelope will not be returned.
Manuscripts may be submitted to ChristianManuscriptSubmissions.com and The Writer's Edge. These organizations both offer their services at modest rates that allow your work to be reviewed simultaneously by more than forty-five other Christian publishers. Please do not send your proposal or manuscript to us after it has been accepted by ChristianManuscriptSubmissions.com or The Writer's Edge. We regularly review their listings, and we will contact you directly if we find your manuscript is a good fit with our current publishing program.
We wish you all the best as you seek to serve Christ through your writing.
What Currently Interests Us
- Cultural critique
- Current issues
- Contemporary discipleship
- Multiethnic issues
- Church and ministry
- Spiritual formation
- Justice issues
- Global issues
- Books for opinion leaders
Bible Study and Small Groups Books
- Bible study series
- How-to books
- Books on small groups
- Non-Anglo authors and topics
- Women authors
- Knowledgeable/experienced people more than writers
- Authors for our Likewise line
Academic and Reference Books
- Survey texts and introductions
- Seminal, groundbreaking books
- Unique and completing reference works (for general and academic audiences)
- Biblical studies
- Church history
- Psychology, sociology
- Economics and business
What Does Not Currently Interest Us
- Romance fiction
- Children's books
- Deductive Bible Study Guides
- Popular biography
- End Times Books
- Health Books