Revelation 8—9: The Message of the Angels
Angels are quite popular these days. We see them depicted on T-shirts, mugs and cards. You can get little pins picturing charming angels. And there's a growing category of books available to show you how to get in touch with your "inner angels" and other such things. None of this has much to do with the angels we meet in Scripture. In the next few passages you will meet some of God's angels—and you will be confronted with their terrible power.
Warming Up to God
What positive feelings or experiences have you had about angels?
Discovering the Word
- List the events that happen when each of the angels blows his trumpet.
- What similarities do you note between all of these events?
- The seventh seal (8:1-5) contains the seven trumpet judgments (8:6-11:15). What apparently is God's purpose in allowing these judgments to fall on the whole creation (9:20-21)?
- Does such a response by God seem justified? Explain.
- It is sometimes maintained that Christians are removed from the world before God's wrath falls. What alternate view is possibly suggested by 9:4 (see also 7:3)?
Applying the Word
- Those mentioned in 9:20-21 did not repent. How do our sins today compare to theirs?
- Where do you see yourself in this list of sins?
- In what way do you feel that you need to be ready for the judgment that takes place here?
Responding in Prayer
Repent of your sins before God.