Psalm 139: Wonderfully Made
A Craftsman medieval times would work for months on a special piece that displayed his finest artistic skill. Finally, when the work was finished, he would present it to the craftsmen's guild in hopes of achieving the rank of master. The work was called his masterpiece. In Psalm 139 we see God the master craftsman, lovingly at work on his masterpiece. The psalm can have a profound impact on the way we view ourselves.
Warming Up to God
Do you think of yourself as God's artwork, his masterpiece? Why or why not? Ask God to help you see yourself through his eyes as you begin this study.
Discovering the Word
- According to the psalmist, what specific things does the Lord know about us (vv. 1-6)?
- The psalmist declares that God's knowledge of him is wonderful (v. 6). Yet why do you think he also feels an urge to flee from God's presence (vv. 7-12)?
- What words are used to describe God's activity and artistry in making us (vv. 13-16)?
Applying the Word
- How do you hide your true self from God?
- When do you hide your true self from others?
- How does this psalm help you to feel more loved and valued by God?
Responding in Prayer
Take time to thank God for the fact that you arre "fearfully andwonderfully made". Put verses 23-24 in your own words and expressthem to God in prayer.