John 3: The New Birth
I talked today to a junior in college who is only one month old. No, she isn't a child genius. Recently a friend explained to her the claims of Christ. As she responded in simple faith, she experienced the joys of spiritual birth.
The most beautiful explanation of the new birth is found here in John 3. It’s a passage that children can understand, and one that the greatest saints of God have never fully grasped. It’s a message not so much to be analyzed and dissected as it is to be received with joy.
Warming Up to God
Do you remember your spiritual birthday? Reflect on what that time meant for you.
Discovering the Word
- What is your impression of Nicodemus (vv. 1-21)?
- Why do you suppose Nicodemus responds to Jesus' explanation of new birth with such amazement (v. 9)?
- How does the story of Moses lifting up the snake in the desert (vv. 14-15; see Num 21:4-9) illustrate our need and Christ's offer?
- How and why does our response to God's Son determine our destiny (vv. 18-21)?
- How would you summarize John's view of the character and ministry of Jesus (vv. 22-36)?
Applying the Word
- John made it clear that Jesus was superior to him. What is one way you can demonstrate Christ's superiority in your life?
- Who do you know that needs to know the truth about God?
- How can you help that person see God?
Responding in Prayer
Ask God to make you ready to testify of the role of Jesus in your life.