Galatians 5:16-26: Living by the Spirit
If Christ has set us free, then why not live as we please? Why not grab all the money, sex and power we can get? Afterward, we can simply ask for forgiveness! Paul challenges this kind of thinking with the true meaning of Christian freedom.
Warming Up to God
Spend some time in quiet before the Lord, opening yourself to what he wants to say to you in prayer and through the Scripture.
Discovering the Word
- What does it mean to "live by the Spirit" (v. 16)?
- How is being led by the Spirit different from living under law (v. 18)?
- Why is it so easy to recognize the acts of the sinful nature (vv. 19-21)?
- How can Paul's warning in verse 21 be reconciled with his emphasis on justification by faith?
- Why is fruit a good description of the Spirit's work in us (vv. 22-23)?
Applying the Word
- Paul assumes that even though all Christians live by the Spirit, we do not always keep in step with the Spirit (vv. 25-26). In what ways do you struggle to keep in step with the Spirit?
- In what ways do you see the Spirit's fruit ripening in your life?
- What fruit would you like to cultivate more?
Responding in Prayer
Spend time thanking God for the Spirit's work in your life. Pray for the Spirit's help in those areas where you feel out of step.