Acts 12: Miraculous Escape
Hudson Taylor, famous missionary to China, said, "Man is moved by God through prayer alone." We see the power of God demonstrated in this passage in response to the prayers of his people.
Warming Up to God
Recall a time when God answered one of your prayers. Thank him for the joy and encouragement you received from his gracious blessing upon you.
Discovering the Word
- Describe the main characters in this passage. How do they respond to what is happening to and around them?
- What seems to motivate Herod's actions (vv. 1-5)?
- What does the church's response to James's death and Peter being in prison (vv. 5 and 12) demonstrate about prayer?
- Why was Herod struck down (vv. 21-23)?
- Contrast Herod's end with what happened with the Word of God (vv. 19-24).
Applying the Word
- How have you seen God respond to a group of people who were earnestly praying?
- Why do you think the praying Christians reacted as they did to Peter's return?
- The earnest prayer of the church significantly affected the outcome of the events of this chapter. How is your motivation to pray influenced by this truth?
Responding in Prayer
Think of an "impossible" prayer request or need that you have. Place it before God and ask him to give you the faith to believe that he will answer your prayer and give you "the desires of your heart."